Denali Highway Trails

August 31 and September 1,  2013
Copyright  2013        ©   Dianne Roberson.   All rights reserved.
Stu Gail and his RZR next to Duke and my RZR
OUTLAW - Dianne with Daisy and Duke
Stu and Mary Gail
Today's riders, Alex, Breann, Tina, Dianne' Stu, Gail, Beverly, Lisa, Dan, Pam, Tony, Michelle and John.
Pam and Tony's 4 seat RZR
hulaman200 in his RZR
AKBAWANA - Brenda, Cody  and Vick
After trip report:

I left Palmer on Thrusday morning at 9 am driving my motorhome to Denali Highway.  I was 30 miles past the Talkeetna turn off when a pressure hose to my engine in my motorhome
lost its clamp.  The clamp hit the fan and made a horrible noise.  Not knowing what it was I turned around and headed back to Talkeetna where the closest help would be.  I stopped at
Trapper Creek gas station and the clerk started calling mechanics in Talkeetna,  None answwered, so he called a buddy of his and his buddy meet me at the Talkeetna Baptist Church
parking lot.  He didn't have a clamp that size so he went to the shop and got one, came back only to find it didn't fit.  He then decided the hose needed replacing so back to the shop he
drove.   Returning, he replaced the parts and we were running great.  He asked only for $3.79, the price of the new parts.  I gave him the cash I had, $20.00 (not much, put credit cards
and checks don't do you any good out here sometimes)

The next delay is explained above.  I finally arrived at our campsite Friday night.  Tired, sore, and happy that no one had to be towed back to the city and no one was hurt.
Daisy and Duke want my treet!
Dan (Treenotch) and Lisa
Resting my back.
A Warm Fire and Pot Luck Dinner

August 22. 2013

Driving down the Denali Highway about 30 miles from Cantwell, I saw two men on the side of the road waving and looking like they needed help.  I stopped and they told me they were hunting about 15
miles down the trail off the highway and their ATV got stuck.  They had a winch but nothing strong enough within reach to hook it to.  I grabbed my gun and unloaded my RZR while Beverly agreed to stay
with my motorhome, trailer and dogs on the side of the Denali Highway.  The men jumped in my rzr and we headed into the wilderness.

Both hunters were wearing amo belts and had rifles plus handguns.  It didn't take me long to slow down and get nervous.  I started asking them personel questions.  They are in the Air Force stationed
near Anchorage.  The one siting beside me was from Alabama and the young man behind me was from Montana.  It was their first time hunting in Alaska and their side by side was new.  They planned to
camp out on the trail so the UTV was fully loaded with supplies to last several days.  Soon, I spotted their machine with relief.  It was sunk deep in the mud.  Really a big side by side too, I think it was a
Honda, like a big red, and a four seater to boot pulling an atv trailer.  We jumped out and the first thing one man did was grab his hand gun, take it out of the holster.  Holding the gun, he looked at me
and I froze.  With a worried frown on his face, he handed the gun to me handle first and asked me to put it in my RZR and keep it dry.  I backed my rzr up to the mud and hooked my tow rope onto my
hitch and they got under the cold water and mud and hooked it to their UTV.

It was a lot heavier than my rzr and we didn't make much headway.  They shoveled the mud from under the tires and I carried the wood that they had for their fire to them and they stacked the wood
under the tires hoping for traction.  I finally moved the big red machine about an inch.  The younger man ( twenty-three, he said) pushed while the other man about 25 years old steered.  Another inch is
all we advanced.  And so it went.  Finally I truned my rzr around deciding to put some of the work on my winch. After much more digging, I asked them to unload their big red machine and they did.  It took
a while as we didn't want to get all their supplies in the mud and water.  Thankfully they stayed in the wet mess and passed the stuff up to me on the grass.  We started pushing, pulling, and straining
again.  Inch by inch we finally got it up on the grass.  We reloaded it and they hooked up the atv trailer and off we went to find the highway again.  A few miles down the trail the atv trailer broke loose and
turned over.  The hitch was broken and we had to leave the trailer behind.  We loaded the stuff in the big red.  

Arriving at my motorhome, we were wet, cold and hungry.  Thanks to Beverly for making us hot coffee and cooking a fast meal.  I only made it another 20 miles down the Denali Highway that day.  I pulled
over in a nice dry scenic spot and  enjoyed the evening sunset.  Please go riding, hunting, etc with a buddy who has a machine.  You need two machines for a safe trip.  Although I do feel more safe
everytime I go riding on Alaska's wilderness trails because the people I meet their are so friendly and giving, I know nature and machines are the ones that rule.  The weather can turn very bad at
anytime, machines are unpredictable even if maintained regularly, and Murphy's Law always follows me.  Be Prepared with two ATVs, tools, first aide kit, extra fuel, fresh drinking water, food, guns, and
amo.  Oh yes, two dogs help too.  I just wish I hadn't watched the movie "Frozen Ground" last week.
Tony and Pam
Lisa approaching Roosevelt Lake
Treenotch and Beverly
John and Michelle
Roosevelt Lake Lunch break.
Bald eagles above the trail.
Duke and Daisy
Dan and Lisa
We stopped to pick cranberries and blueberries.
I learn something every time I get myself or someone else out of a mishap.  Don't ever pass anyone up that needs your help, the next time it might be you stuck.  Welcome to Alaska to these Air Force
men and good luck to them on their hunting trips.
Stu has a wet behind.
Stu Gail
The Denali Highway between Cantwell, Alaska and Paxton is an unpaved gravel road with unsurpassed beautiful and abundant wildlife.  We ride several trails off this highway.  It is open from May
through October 1st.  There are many free campsites, free to stay in for two weeks without moving, but I don't think anyone checks on this.  Several campers stayed a month near us.  It is dry camping
so bring all the fuel, frest water, medicine, food and amo you will need.  A couple of places are open selling some supplies put their supplies are not large and cash is advised.  No cell phone service
beyond Talkeetna junction.  I know of one satilite phone that can be used for emergencies at Alpine Creek  Lodge.  It is at Mile 68 Denali Highway.
Two hunters I met while taking our banner down.  Ed and Baron are proud of their caribou.
Mary and Stu Gail